A thegn, or thane, is a soldier that has raised their rank through active service. A latin word that translates to "miles", it signified how much active duty the thane had actually done for their leige. Over time it changed meaning to simply become the local lord, and was eventually replaced in usage by the term "baron".
Hunting with the Pack
Epic Armoury’s White Wolf Norman Shield is an leaf-shaped shield inspired by Norman soldiers of the early 11th century, used during the Norman conquest of England. Also called a kite shield, this 115cm long shield is rounded at the top and narrows toward the bottom, perfect for mounted cavalry or field soldiers alike. This Live Action Role Play (LARP) safe shield is carved from EVA foam and coated in a layer of durable latex, and is designed to look like slats of true wood. A shield boss is attached to the front, as would have been common during the time of the First Crusade.
The Norman Shield has been hand painted white with a tribal red wolf design, faded and aged for the battlefield. Strap this shield onto your left or right arm thanks to the six adjustable, leather enarmes on the back. This is a great alternative to a punch grip, specifically used to compensate for the kite shield’s unique shape. Keep your shield in great condition with regular latex maintenance.
As scene on TV, the new round, punch grip shield from Epic Armoury isn't just a premium paint job, covering both the front and back. It has a newly designed, reinforced punch grip handle to last even longer, and has leather around the edges to ensure the longest lasting foam shields yet!
A Piece of Norman Warfare
- This shield is considered a ‘kite shield’
- The round-topped kite shield was popular in Europe during the 1000s, later spreading to the Middle East because of the First Crusade
- The shape of this shield would have been ideal for mounted cavalry to protect their left leg, as well as their shoulder and torso
- Associated with the Normans, who were the first to use this style of shield widely
- Made from laminated wood, stretched animal hide, and iron
- The Shield Boss--the round, convex piece of material at the centre of the shield--was used to deflect blows
|Material:||Leather, EVA, Latex|
|Maintenance:||Treat with Silicone Maintenance Spray after each use for best results|